Published: 18/02/2013 08:32 - Updated: 18/02/2013 08:35

Nairn resist Clach comeback to win derby

Nairn's two-goal hero John Cameron in action against Clach.
Nairn's two-goal hero John Cameron in action against Clach.

NAIRN County had to survive a Clach comeback on Saturday as their 3-2 win kept them in the Highland League title chase.

In-form Robbie Duncanson, who passed a late fitness test to take part, set up two-goal John Cameron for an eighth minute opener.

Cameron netted his second on 34 minutes after a superb John Campbell save denied Duncanson.

However, Duncanson made it 3-0 with a deflected effort from just inside the penalty boss to leave the in-form Lilies floored.

The Inverness side picked themselves up though and Scott Graham scored just before the break to offer some hope to the visitors.

Clach tried to find a way back into the contest, but Gordon Morrison’s header came too late to cause Nairn any real concerns.

Clach head to 2012 champions Forres Mechanics on Wednesday, while Nairn host Strathspey Thistle.

Fourth-placed Nairn are behind new leaders Cove Rangers by eight points, but have five games in hand, while Clach are one point worse off than Nairn and have played one match more.

With Wick’s game off at the weekend, Cove Rangers rose to first place thanks to a 7-0 hammering of visitors Turriff United.

The Allan Parkers are one point ahead of Wick, but have played one game more.

Third-placed Formartine United also remain firmly in contention after their 2-1 win at Lossiemouth left them six points behind Cove, but with five games in hand.

Fort William can take heart from their performance at the weekend, although it resulted in a 4-2 home Highland League loss against Inverurie Locos.

The division’s basement side paid the price for conceding three goals in the first 20 minutes before adding some respectability to the scoreline.

Neil McLean got the visitors off to a flying start when he scored with a terrific early individual goal before Scott Begg soon added another when he met a Craig Ross corner.

A defensive error allowed Jack Strachan to stretch Locos lead on 20 minutes.

Full-back McLean, who had put Inverurie in front, put the ball into his own net just before half-time to offer some hope to the hosts.

However, Locos went 4-1 ahead early in the second half through Stuart McKay.

Fort kept battling on though and a fine late goal from Sean Grant reduced the deficit.

Elsewhere, Deveronvale won 1-0 at Buckie Thistle, Keith edged out hosts Fraserburgh 3-2, Forres crushed Rothes 8-1 at Mosset Park and Brora Rangers were 3-0 home winners against Strathspey Thistle.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo