Published: 10/06/2012 10:22 - Updated: 10/06/2012 10:51

View's RockNess gig rescheduled

Written byby Margaret Chrystall

Inside the tent before the gig was stopped. Picture: Alison White
Inside the tent before the gig was stopped. Picture: Alison White

 

THE View's fans will get a second chance to hear them in RockNess's Goldenvoice tent tonight at 5.40pm, after their set was abandoned for safety reasons last night.

Fans had packed the Clash Tent for the Dundee band's 7.45pm set with many still left waiting to get in after the band started.

But four songs in, frontman Kyle Falconer announced from the stage that they were being asked to stop playing.

The crowd were then told to leave the tent and it then emerged that one of the tent support poles had been worked loose. 

Security staff flocked to the tent to help get the crowd out.

The View
The View

And after a few minutes, a RockNess official revealed that despite the promise that the gig would resume once the tent was cleared, it couldn't go on while safety checks were made on the tent pole.

He also said that the band's set would be rescheduled with date and tent to be announced later on the main stage screens.

Murray Campbell (19) from Dundee, said: "The tent was packed, but it looked as if this pole had got loose above us - there was a rope hanging off it.

And Jamie Howell (23) from Nairn, said: "I was quite near the front and I just saw that a pole at the back looked as if it had snapped.

And I'm just hoping it's not rescheduled at the same time as Biffy Clyro!"

The festival organisers put out an official statement late last night, saying: "After reviewing the situation, it was deemed that it would be safer to empty the tent in order to fully inspect the tent pole. This was carried out by security in a very orderly fashion without any issues.

"The event management team, after consultation with the band, agreed it would be better for the The View to perform again tomorrow (Sunday). Rock Ness apologise for any disappointment caused.

Festival director Jim King added: "Safety of the fans has to come first. After speaking to the band we were all in total agreement that this was the best solution."

Last time the band played RockNess in 2008, they played the main stage, but were topping the bill this time in the Clash tent as special guests.

On their Twitter last night, the band revealed the setlist they had planned to play, but later confirmed the new time for today's RockNess gig and apologised to Stockton fans who will now miss out on tonight's planned tour date.

For more on the festival, go to www. rockness.co.uk and Facebook page. Check out the band at www.theviewareonfire.co.uk and their Twitter The View official

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo