A NORTH man has raised thousands of pounds for a charity which cares for ex-servicemen and women by climbing Africa's highest peak. Steve Barron (48), from Inverness, conquered the challenging six-day trek to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for Erskine Hospital. Steve who is the managing director of Robertson Facilities Management, endured searing heat and plummeting temperatures as well as exhaustion and altitude sickness to raise £2,000 for the centre that provides valuable support for former members of the armed forces. Steve, whose company provides staff and building management services for Erskine, described the pursuit to the top of the volcanic peak as exhilarating and completely unforgettable. And he was pleased when Robertson Group executive chairman Bill Robertson recognised his colossal feat by doubling his fundraising figure to £4,000. Steve said: "Robertson FM has been working with Erskine for two years now and I have always been hugely impressed by its efforts in providing first-class care for ex-service men and women. "As MD of a company that works in partnership with Erskine, I felt it was appropriate to support this cause. And it is pleasing that the organisation has once again demonstrated this by matching my sponsorship total." Erskine chief executive Colonel Martin Gibson said: "Steve's commitment to raising much needed funds for Erskine was fantastic. As demand for Erskine's care increases from veterans, young and old, we are heavily reliant on voluntary support."
Steve conquers African peak – for Scottish charity
- £77,000 worth of drugs discovered in Inverness
- Thieves swipe cash in Inverness house break-in
- Heavy snowfall hits North... and experts predict more!
- MacRitchie returns to Lovat hot-seat
- Delay warning after lorry jack-knifes on the A9
- Derby start would round off perfect month for Ross
- Reguero out to halt rampant ICT
- Two men arrested in connection with Inverness rape claim
- Man released after Inverness pub attack
- ICT star Mckay poised for shock move to Wigan Athletic